Sharing is caring! LocalNewsPolitics Public Works Minister resigns by: – March 2, 2016 2980 Views 11 comments Tweet Share Share Share Ian Pinard (file photo)Minister for Public Works and Ports Ian Pinard has resigned.Minister Pinard, who is also the Parliamentary Representative for the Soufriere Constituency, tendered his resignation to Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit on Wednesday 2 March 2016.“In recent days, allegations of serious inappropriate behavior have been made against me in the media and elsewhere in relation to matters, which the public rightly is and has been most concerned about. I believe I have a moral and fiduciary responsibility to you to address you on this matter,” Minister Pinard said in the statement issued late Wednesday.“In light of these allegations, I consider that my continued presence in the Cabinet can adversely impact the very important work this government is doing and must continue to do for the people of Dominica,” he noted.There have been reports of alleged unlawful and inappropriate conduct by three adult males on a 15 year old girl; a report which the Commonwealth of Dominica Police Force confirmed that it is investigating.“In order to allow me to more appropriately address the allegations against me and also in order to focus on other very important personal matters, I have earlier today tendered to the Honorable Prime Minister my resignation as a minister of government with immediate effect,” Mr Pinard stated. Mr Pinard however informed that he will continue to serve the residents of the Soufriere Constituency, “pending what I am confident will be a successful conclusion of this matter”.He also expressed “profound thanks” to Prime Minister Skerrit, who is also the Leader of the Dominica Labour Party, for giving him the opportunity to serve the country at the highest level. “I also wish to thank the constituents of the Soufriere Constituency for the support and confidence they have reposed in me. I assure you of my continued readiness to serve you,” Mr Pinard indicated. Meanwhile, the Commonwealth of Dominica Police Force said earlier on Wednesday, through its Public Relations Officer, Pelham Jno Baptiste, that an investigation into the allegations has been launched in an effort “to quell public anxiety” and “protect the interest of innocent citizens”.It is hoped that by the weekend, the Dominica Police Force will be in a position to shed further light on those investigations and also to advise on any consequent cause of action.However, the Police Department is urging members of the Dominican public, resident here and abroad, particularly the media, to cooperate with law enforcement officers by allowing these investigations to run their full course. “The administration of justice is hindered when rampant speculation and false words are used to contaminate the investigative process,” Mr Jno Baptiste noted.Video Playerhttps://www.dominicavibes.dm/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Statement.mp400:0000:0001:39Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.