Two arrested after ramming police cruisers with side-by-side

first_imgDAWSON CREEK, B.C. — Two people were arrested after a side-by-side rammed two police vehicles in Dawson Creek last week.On Tuesday, June 6th, members of the Dawson Creek RCMP observed a green side-by-side being driven on the roadways in a dangerous manner as the driver failed to stop at stop signs or obey the rules of the road. Officers attempted to conduct a traffic stop, however the driver refused and continued to drive erratically through the city. The side by side travelled south on 17th St, where it crossed the Dangerous Goods Route and continued through a field.The vehicle was later located just south of the Co-op Cardlock, at which point the driver of the side-by-side rammed the police vehicle and injured the officer, who was pinned between his open driver’s door and the UTV. The side-by-side then fled the scene.- Advertisement -After the UTV was again located, the driver rammed the front of a second police vehicle in a head-on collision. The officer was not injured, and was able to arrest both the male driver and female passenger. The injured officer and both the side-by-side’s occupants were transported to hospital to be treated for minor injuries. They have since been released.The two occupants are currently being held in police custody on multiple charges and outstanding warrants. The male driver is known to police and had conditions from previous unrelated matters.last_img read more

Read More →

Mayor to pay $5,200 to settle ethics case

first_imgThe fine will be paid from the mayor’s officeholder account. kerry.cavanaugh@dailynews.com (213) 978-0390160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Averting a public hearing over four-year-old ethics violations, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa’s office said Thursday that he will pay a $5,200 fine to settle 30 accounting errors and filing delinquencies from his 2003 campaign for City Council. Villaraigosa could have faced up to $150,000 in penalties, but Ethics Commission staffers recommended the lesser amount because the mayor cooperated with the investigation and had no prior penalties at the time of the violations. The commission staff also agreed to withdraw the most serious charge against Villaraigosa – that he accepted $39,000 over the limit on contributions from corporations – after he was able to show that the donations were actually from individuals. “We were able to prevail on a number of allegations in the original complaint. Basically, what remains now are administrative errors that the mayor has taken responsibility for,” said Stephen Kaufman, Villaraigosa’s attorney. Ethics Commission staffers could not comment on the proposed fine, which is expected to be considered by the commission Aug. 14. The violations included four contributions over the $500-per-person contribution limit, totaling $1,300 in excess; and 23 pieces of campaign literature and three scripts for radio and telephone messages that weren’t filed with the commission on time. Villaraigosa has admitted the violations, but said he was planning to fight the alleged excess corporate contributions. In May, the Ethics Commission voted to send the case to an administrative law judge. When the commission staff withdrew the contested charge, Villaraigosa agreed to accept the other 30 citations, Kaufman said. “The mayor felt it was very important to take responsibility for errors that occurred during his campaign,” Kaufman said. last_img read more

Read More →

‘Liverpool didn’t seem 100 per cent fit’! Former Anfield star reviews the Reds’ Europa League exit

first_imgFormer Liverpool striker Ryan Babel joined the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast show to review the Reds’ Europa League exit to Besiktas.Brendan Rodgers’ side lost 1-0 on the night, making the scores level, and then saw Dejan Lovren miss his spotkick in Turkey.“They didn’t seem 100 per cent fit in my opinion,” Babel told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast show. “The team looked a little bit different and they were missing a couple of players.”You can listen to Ryan Babel’s interview with the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast show above, and leave your comments below…last_img

Read More →

Democrats divided on Alito filibuster

first_imgWASHINGTON – Long-smoldering Democratic dissension flared openly Friday as liberals sought support for a last-minute filibuster of Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito against the advice of leaders worried about a backlash in the 2006 elections. “I reject those notions that there ought to somehow be some political calculus about the future. … The choice is now,” said Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry, the party’s 2004 presidential candidate and a White House hopeful for 2008. He said it was imperative to fight for “those people who count on us to stand up and protect them.” Two of the party’s Senate leaders, Harry Reid of Nevada and Charles Schumer of New York, privately made clear their unhappiness with the strategy, even though they, too, oppose Alito’s confirmation. And Rep. Harold Ford, seeking a Senate seat in Republican-leaning Tennessee, dismissed the filibuster approach openly. “It does not appear that there is any reason to hold up a vote. I hope my colleagues in the Senate will move quickly to bring this process to a dignified end,” he said. Those remarks drew a pointed rebuttal from the NAACP and People for The American Way, two organizations that often work closely with Democrats in Congress. “With just two days of debate having passed, this must rank among the shortest debates for a controversial Supreme Court nomination in modern times,” they said in a written statement. Democrats have been arguing for several days whether to attempt a filibuster designed to keep Alito off the bench, according to officials familiar with the deliberations. These officials said both Reid and New York’s Schumer, who heads the party’s effort to gain Senate seats in 2006, have stressed the drawbacks. Among them were the certainty of defeat, the impression of political weakness that would convey and the potential impact on candidates on the ballot in 2006 in Republican-leaning states. Both men oppose Alito’s confirmation. Among the rank and file, there was opposition to a filibuster from several lawmakers, including liberal Barbara Mikulski of Maryland and North Dakota’s Kent Conrad, a moderate who is on the ballot this fall in a Republican state. For the most part, Republicans were content to stand aside while Democrats aired their internal differences. But White House spokesman Scott McClellan couldn’t resist a jab at Kerry, Bush’s vanquished campaign rival from 2004. “I think even for a senator, it takes some pretty serious yodeling to call for a filibuster from a five-star ski resort in the Swiss Alps,” he said. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESanta Anita opens winter meet Saturday with loaded card Despite a decision by Kerry, Massachusetts Sen. Edward M. Kennedy and others to try to block a final vote, leaders of both parties agreed that Alito’s confirmation was assured for Tuesday. The 55-year-old appeals court judge would replace Sandra Day O’Connor, who has cast deciding votes in recent years in 5-4 rulings on controversial issues such as abortion rights, affirmative action and the death penalty. Democrats fear he would shift the court rightward on those and other issues. Because of moves by Kerry, Kennedy and others, supporters of Alito’s nomination must produce 60 votes Monday to advance his nomination – and an Associated Press tally shows at least 62. That would clear the way for a final vote Tuesday. The AP tally shows at least 53 Republicans and three Democrats intend to vote to confirm Alito, well over the required majority. Reid announced he would side with Alito’s critics Monday, though on Thursday he had made clear his unhappiness with their strategy. “There has been adequate time for people to debate,” he had said Thursday. “I hope this matter will be resolved without too much more talking.” last_img read more

Read More →

Lazio star offered big new deal amid interest from Liverpool and Man United

first_imgLiverpool and Manchester United target Stefan de Vrij could be set to commit his future to Lazio after their latest bumper contract offer.The Dutch defender’s current deal runs out next summer so it has been reported that Lazio are ready to cash in on him now to avoid losing him for nothing in a year’s time.Both Liverpool and United have been strongly linked with the 25-year-old while Serie A champions Juventus are eager to land him too.Lazio have been hoping De Vrij will decide to stay put by extending his current deal, although they have been so far been unable to convince him to sign fresh terms.But now, according to La Repubblica, their latest offer might just have the desired effect with De Vrij currently mulling over the terms.It has been reported that the new deal would push his basic salary up to £1.8m per year with a series of performance-related add-ons too.It would also contain a reasonably modest £22.75m release clause which would be little problem for the chasing pack should they decide to go back for him in the future. Stefan de Vrij 1last_img read more

Read More →

Laura Muir breaks 31-year-old British indoor mile record

first_imgScot Laura Muir smashed a 31-year-old British record as she won the women’s indoor mile in Birmingham.The Olympian crossed the line in four minutes 18.75 seconds, breaking Kirsty Wade’s long-standing mark of 4:23.86 in emphatic fashion.Muir’s time is the third fastest indoors mile time in history, only bettered by Ethiopian great Genzebe Dibaba and Romanian Doina Melinte.The 25-year-old is preparing to defend her 1500m and 3000m European indoor titles on home soil in Glasgow next month. She told the BBC: “I knew I was in great shape. It was about winning the race, but also about running fast.“I’m so chuffed to get the record on home soil. I knew the spilt halfway and knew I was there and thereabouts. The crowd were fantastic.”last_img

Read More →

2018-19 All-Big Ten Men’s Basketball Team; Painter Named Coach of the Year

first_imgSECOND TEAMRomeo Langford, IndianaAnthony Cowan Jr., MarylandIgnas Brazdeikis, MichiganZavier Simpson, MichiganJordan Murphy, Minnesota FIRST TEAMBruno Fernando, MarylandCASSIUS WINSTON, Michigan StateJordan Murphy, MinnesotaCARSEN EDWARDS, PurdueEthan Happ, Wisconsin 2018-19 Big Ten Sportsmanship Award Honorees Aaron Jordan, IllinoisZach McRoberts, IndianaNicholas Baer, IowaBruno Fernando, MarylandIsaiah Livers, MichiganCassius Winston, Michigan StateJordan Murphy, MinnesotaIsaiah Roby, NebraskaDererk Pardon, NorthwesternJoey Lane, Ohio StateDeivis Zemgulis, Penn StateGrady Eifert, PurdueShaquille Doorson, RutgersKhalil Iverson, Wisconsin SIXTH PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Xavier Tillman, Michigan State FIRST TEAMBruno Fernando, MarylandCASSIUS WINSTON, Michigan StateLamar Stevens, Penn StateCARSEN EDWARDS, PurdueEthan Happ, Wisconsin ALL-DEFENSIVE TEAMBruno Fernando, MarylandZavier Simpson, MichiganMatt McQuaid, Michigan StateJosh Reaves, Penn StateNojel Eastern, Purdue FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR: Ignas Brazdeikis, Michigan FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR: Ignas Brazdeikis, Michigan THIRD TEAMJordan Bohannon, IowaTyler Cook, IowaNick Ward, Michigan StateAmir Coffey, MinnesotaJames Palmer Jr., Nebraska COACH OF THE YEAR: Matt Painter, Purdue PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Cassius Winston, Michigan Statecenter_img DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Josh Reaves, Penn State ALL-FRESHMAN TEAMAyo Dosunmu, IllinoisRomeo Langford, IndianaJoe Wieskamp, IowaJalen Smith, MarylandIgnas Brazdeikis, Michigan PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Cassius Winston, Michigan State HONORABLE MENTIONAyo Dosunmu, IllinoisTrent Frazier, IllinoisJordan Bohannon, IowaLuka Garza, IowaCharles Matthews, MichiganJordan Poole, MichiganJon Teske, MichiganKenny Goins, Michigan StateMatt McQuaid, Michigan StateVic Law, NorthwesternDererk Pardon, NorthwesternKaleb Wesson, Ohio StateJosh Reaves, Penn StateRyan Cline, PurdueMatt Haarms, PurdueGeo Baker, RutgersEugene Omoruyi, RutgersD’Mitrik Trice, Wisconsin SECOND TEAMTyler Cook, IowaAnthony Cowan Jr., MarylandIgnas Brazdeikis, MichiganZavier Simpson, MichiganLamar Stevens, Penn State Nick Ward, Michigan StateAmir Coffey, MinnesotaJames Palmer Jr., Nebraska THIRD TEAMRomeo Langford, IndianaJuwan Morgan, Indiana 2018-19 All-Big Ten Men’s Basketball TeamAs selected by Media Voting Panel HONORABLE MENTIONAyo Dosunmu, IllinoisJuwan Morgan, IndianaJordan Poole, MichiganJon Teske, MichiganKenny Goins, Michigan StateMatt McQuaid, Michigan StateDererk Pardon, NorthwesternKaleb Wesson, Ohio StateRyan Cline, PurdueGeo Baker, Rutgers COACH OF THE YEAR: Matt Painter, PurdueUnanimous selections IN ALL CAPSlast_img read more

Read More →

New Details About Renovations for Naples Ristorante e Pizzeria at Downtown Disney

first_imgShare This!The Downtown Disney District at Disneyland is undergoing some massive renovations lately, and it’s been announced that another restaurant will be seeing some updates, too. Naples Ristorante e Pizzeria is set to refresh its aesthetic, as well as enhance the dining experience. The restaurant will be adding a new outdoor bar, which will be the feature of an expanded patio with additional al fresco dining among all new landscaping.Additional updates will include a new all-glass entry that will welcome Guests. Moving inside, three new wood-burning pizza ovens will be installed, and they will become the focal point of the room. The second-floor dining area will feature an open kitchen, as well as enhanced outdoor terrace dining.©Patina GroupNaples will remain open during the construction process, and work on the restaurant will be completed in three phases. This means that Guests will still be able to enjoy delicious Neapolitan pizza, as well as other Italian delights.Visitors can also expect Napolini, Naples’ fast-casual concept, to undergo a revamp. Napolini will stay open, as well, serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner to Guests on-the-go in need of an authentic Italian quick bite.All renovations are slated to be completed by the fall of 2018.last_img read more

Read More →

Stratford wrestling sweeps all matches to beat Edgar

first_imgTigers win nine matches by pinBy Paul LeckerSports ReporterEDGAR — Stratford won all 14 matches, nine by pin, to blank Edgar 75-0 in a Marawood Conference wrestling dual meet Thursday at Edgar High School.Kolten Daul (113 pounds), Max Schwabe (120), Derek Marten (132), Jake Drexler (138), Mason Kauffman (160), David Marquardt (170), Dylan Schoenherr (182), Kam Bornbach (220), and Tyson Kauffman (285) all won by pin for the Tigers. All but Marquardt, Schoenherr, and Bornbach won in the first period.Dilan Dehlinger (145), Jordan Becker (152), and Aiden Hoffman (195) each won by decision for Stratford, with Hoffman’s win coming in overtime.Stratford will return to action Dec. 29-30 at the Bi-State Classic in La Crosse.(Hub City Times Sports Reporter Paul Lecker is also the publisher of MarshfieldAreaSports.com.)Stratford 75, Edgar 0106: Manny Drexler (S) winner by forfeit.113: Kolten Daul (S) won by pin over John Brewster in 1:23.120: Max Schwabe (S) won by pin over Josh Kania in 0:42.126: A.J. Schoenfuss (S) won by forfeit.132: Derek Martin (S) won by pin over Jake Lepinski in 0:47.138: Jake Drexler (S) won by pin over Jake Federwitz in 1:14.145: Dilan Dehlinger (S) def. Ty Guden 7-3.152: Jordan Becker (S) def. Ethan Heil 8-2.160: Mason Kauffman (S) won by pin over Dawson Lemmer in 1:09.170: David Marquardt (S) won by pin over Brock Handrick in 4:38.182: Dylan Schoenherr (S) won by pin over Will Ratz in 2:20.195: Aiden Hoffman (S) def. Alex Lemanski 4-2 in OT.220: Kam Bornbach (S) won by pin over Reese Heidman in 3:51.285: Tyson Kauffman (S) won by pin over Brice Imhoff in 1:57.last_img read more

Read More →